The Philips Heartstart Onsite AED Defibrillator uses two self-adhesive defibrillation/monitoring pads to monitor ECG signals and, if necessary, to deliver defibrillation energy to the patient.
These pads (also known as electrodes) are provided in a single-use, disposable package.
Do not allow defibrillation pads to touch each other, or to touch other ECG electrodes, lead wires, dressings, transdermal patches, etc. Such contact can cause electrical arcing and patient skin burns during defibrillation and may divert defibrillating energy away from the heart.
The HeartStart Adult SMART Pads are intended for one time use only. The pads must be replaced after each use or if the package has been damaged. The Philips Heartstart Onsite AED Defibrillator Adult Replacement SMART Pads Cartridges, Item #M5071A are supplied in a sealed pouch with the connector. This allows the pads to be stored in a pre-connected state for rapid deployment during an emergency.
Caution: DO NOT remove the extra set of stored defibrillation pads from the sealed package until the pads are to be used. The packaging should be opened only immediately prior to use, otherwise the pads may dry out and become non-functional. First, check to ensure that the pad package has not expired. Pads past their expiration date should not be used and should be discarded. Insert the connector end of the Onsite AED Defibrillator Adult Replacement SMART electrodes cable into the pads connector port. Press the pads connector in firmly until it is fully seated in the unit.
Caution: The pads are intended for one time use only and must be discarded after use or if the package has been opened.
Checking Pad Pack Expiration Dates: It is important that the patient pads and the battery packs not be used past their expiration dates. The expiration date of the pad package is printed on the outside of the sealed package. The expiration date of the battery pack is printed on the label on the pack. Always remove and replace by this date; when the battery pack is used up, the unit will indicate “low battery” or “replace battery” and will flash the Active Status Indicator red.
Please note: Once an accessory is past its expiration date, it should be replaced immediately. Follow the instructions in the “Installing and Removing the Battery Pack” and “Connecting the Pads” sections to replace the part with an unexpired part. Patient pads should be discarded. Battery packs should be appropriately recycled.
- Philips Adult SMART Pads Cartridge: M5071A defibrillation pads for patients 8 years of age and older or 55 lbs. (25 kg) and over.
- Philips Infant/Child SMART Pads Cartridge: M5072A defibrillation pads for patients under 8 years of age or 55 lbs. (25 kg). Rx only.
- Energy Delivered by:
- Adult- nominal 150 Joules into a 50 ohm load
- Infant/Child: nominal 50 Joules into a 50 ohm load
- How Supplied: Disposable cartridge, containing adhesive defibrillation pads, clicks into defibrillator for an integrated pads solution.
- Active Surface Area: 13.2 in² (85 cm²) each
- Cable Length:
- Adult pads: 54 in (137.1 cm)
- Infant/Child pads: 40 in (101.6 cm)
- Use-by Date: Cartridge is labeled with a use-by date of at least two years from date of manufacture.